Introduction to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We get asked a lot of questions about the site, how we created it, how we maintain it, and who we are. Some of them are asked to often that after seven and a half years, in 2003 or 2004, we finally got around to writing a Frequently Asked Questions page. We let it sit, untouched for nine or ten years until March of 2013, when we updated it. Now, in September, 2014, we're at it again, revising the questions and answers due to major changes concurrently made to the site. We hope it will satisfy your curiosity and give you a better idea what the site is all about.
This time we've broken the FAQ into five thematically arranged pages. We hope that by breaking the section into smaller sections we'll be able to update the individual sections more often. The sections and a brief description of the questions covered are:
- General Questions (Listing criteria; Reasons for having listing criteria; Who decides what gets listed; Where the information comes from; Cost for a facility to be listed; Filtering searches; Different ways to search the database.)
- Listing Content Questions (Geographic errors; Reasons for the use of English Historical Counties; Why we don't use common abbreviations in place names; Missing team and club information; Reasons for limiting price information; Reasons for use of currency codes instead of symbols; Reasons for including facilities with exclusive admission policies; Other facility amenities mentioned and omitted; Why we don't include pool schedules in the listings; Chlorine and chlorine-free pool information.)
- Operating the Site Questions ("Edit" and "Add" buttons; Why we ask for your name and email address when you suggest a change; Processing changes by users; How the website works.
- Plans for the Future (User ratings, Map site enhancement and integration, Addition of seasonal facilities, Long term uncertainty)
- Ownership, Motivation, Financial, and Responsibility Questions